post rating

Aug 12, 2011 at 7:07 AM

Hello! I would like to see next future in forum module:

Every post may be rate as good post. It maybe button "+1" or "mark as good". But if it's simply to allow every user to rate every post it would not work because  not every user are adequate and impartial and we can often to see a lot of stupid post thats was plussed. So we need system that will prevent to everybody rate to post. We can do for example next:

At start moderator read all themes and mark some members as adequate in admin panel, after it they become able to rate all other post, but they may set only n "+1" per day.

All members that gave a lot of plus (total plussed/total post) = rate. And every this user may rate other post, but it's voice will be not 1, but 0,4 depend on how much they have plussed post/total post.

But nobody should not know if his voice are will ad real mark. So every noob may push button +1, but his voice will be = 0.

And after it add button to forum - show only high rated posts, so every user may simply read best posts from huge thread.

It's only concept of the rate system, I would like to discuss this system and would like to see it's implementation in forum module.

Aug 19, 2011 at 8:47 AM

I saw mention about popularity algoritum on forum. Who can explain how it would work?

Coordinator
Aug 19, 2011 at 4:14 PM

I started to implement the hotness algorithm as described by Jeff Atwood here http://meta.stackoverflow.com/questions/11602/what-formula-should-be-used-to-determine-hot-questions

The code is within the codebase, but the ability to turn it on has been commented as well as the page view count so that I could get an initial release out. The algoritm depends on functionality that you have described above, so I will implement that feature and in-turn this feature should just work.

The idea is that the person setting up the forum has the ability to turn the 'hotness algorithm' on and off, so you still have a choice.

I hope that helps - and sorry its not there for this release, the next release will be in 2-3 weeks.

Nick

Aug 21, 2011 at 5:22 PM

I would like to see exactly post rating system, it would be good if you will implement it's too. Not now, but in next few release. It's very needing future. I am plan to migrate huge commonity site to Orchard and it's need such system.

Coordinator
Aug 21, 2011 at 5:27 PM

At the moment I have jsut finished two new modules to complement this module.

1. User View module - This will increment on each view based on certain criteria.

2. Vote up/down module - This is exactly like the functionality that StackOverflow has.

both these two modules complement the functionality that is required for the hotness rating to work, but at the same time this also means other people can extend or create new modules to influance the rating.

I am trying to replecate certain functionality of Stackoverflow as well as other forums.