This project is read-only.

Forum Feature Ideas

Jul 19, 2011 at 9:43 PM

Topics

Topic display options - Sort by Topics, Topic Starter, Replies, Views, Post Date, etc.
    Active Topics - Topics containing new posts since last visit or other user defined period
    Un-answered Topics - Topics with no replies since last visit or defined period
    Forum and Topic, New Post Icon with number of unread posts using mouse over
    Last Unread Post Icon - Takes you directly to the last unread post in the topic (updated in real-time)
    Printer Friendly version of topics
    Topic preview using mouse over
    Admin tools for Topics - Edit, Delete, Move, Lock, Sticky, Event Date, Icon, etc.
    Hot topics icons
    Announcements and Sticky Topics

Quick reply box with Full-Reply switch
    Preview post option
    Message Editing and Quoting
    Report offensive or unwelcome post
    Unread Post Icon - New Posts since you last visited the Topic are display with a New Post Icon
    Admin tools for Posts - Edit, Delete, Move, etc.
    Delete Posts - If a member has permission they can only delete their post if a reply has not been posted
    New Set Answer/Resolution Posts which are highlighted after the first post as the Answer or Resolution to a question

Taken from here.. http://www.webwiz.co.uk/web-wiz-forums/forum-features.htm

Jul 31, 2011 at 1:58 PM

Notes against actions take against 'post', 'thread'

Given a user has permissions to close a thread
When the user clicks close thread
   And the user fills in a note why it has been closed
Then the thread should be closed.

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:44 PM

Flag a Post/Thread or Flag Content Item maybe?

Aug 5, 2011 at 10:38 PM

take a look at the dotnetnuke forum module? i like the setup

Currently i really miss a styled version of the forum..
A Forums overview i host myself

http://www.piaggiomp3club.nl/dotnetnuke/Forum/tabid/58/language/nl-NL/Default.aspx

if u ask me, the feature to show the "unread posts" is a must have for a forum
also the latest 6,12,24,48 posts is nice to have.

Aug 6, 2011 at 10:45 AM

Absolutly agree... I think is should be done with widgets. Where you can select the forum or thread that you want to show. Then the control is shifted to the user to place this where they like, what do you think?

Aug 6, 2011 at 11:50 AM
Edited Aug 6, 2011 at 12:08 PM

Active Widget
Unanswered Widget
Forum Statistics Widget

The first two could be rolled in to a more general 'Filter' widget

Aug 29, 2011 at 1:35 PM

Hi ,

Do tolerate these questions, answer me with :):)...Thanks !!

Where is an option for me to delete the thread?
How do i move a thread to an other forum?
Is there an option lik i wud  hav a set of users (groups) , who are previliged to access specific forums,while others cant?

Aug 30, 2011 at 8:41 PM

Hey,

The options to delete 'Forum', 'Thread' or 'Post' items are all within the admin panel. At the moment they are drop down boxes allowing you to do multiple deletes.

The is no facility to move a thread to another forum, though this is high up on my list. I wanted to get this done over the last couple of days but I ended up getting the flu :(

Im trying to stay away from building in functionality to the Forum module that could be done in seperate modules. Piotr has created a content authorization module http://www.orchardproject.net/gallery/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.Szmyd.ContentAuthorization - Could you give this a go??

Hope this helps!!

Nick

Sep 2, 2011 at 6:44 AM

:( .... i cant find any option on my admin panel, that enables me to delete my thread or post.....i am able to edit them ,but not delete..!All i can see abt forums on my admin page is forums,manage forums,new forums....thats it!!Correct me if am wrong!

also, how abt using Quanta ?? for authorization of specific users to specific Forums??.

Sep 4, 2011 at 11:55 AM

I havent used Quanta, its part of the science project right? if so give it ago, I would love to know how it works. Eventually I would like to provide a 'Forum' recipe so this would be included!...

The Delete is at the top of the page within a dropdown box? do you see it?

Manage Forums  -> Click on forum name -> (you see a list of threads) -> check the ones you want to delete -> click dropdown box, and there is delete :)

If you still cant see it you could try this module http://www.orchardproject.net/gallery/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.Contrib.DeleteContentTypes

Sep 5, 2011 at 6:18 AM
Edited Sep 5, 2011 at 2:54 PM

Yeah!..got it...Thanks:)..

1.Where do i see the content ,which i have given in the body of my forum??

2.how abt attaching a pic for a forum profile??

3.Am able to inser a pic thrgh the body tag,How abt if i have to upload a pdf or video file to my forums?Is there a possiblity?  :):)!!!

4.If am right, forum creates 3 tables ForumPart,PostPart,ThreadPart Records,,,Where is the way for me to findout SET OF ThreadIds that belongs to the specific ContentItemID ?Similarly ,PostIds that belong to the specific thread??Database schema doesnt show any relations on tables.Also,we hav a column as No of views under ThreadPart.... Is it used ?If so where?

Sep 5, 2011 at 8:52 PM

1. I have overridden the displaying of the Forum body text to not render this out to the UI. You can override this in your theme by doing so...

<Placement>
  <Match ContentType="Forum">   
    <Match DisplayType="Detail">
      <Place
            Parts_Common_Body="Content"/>
    </Match>
.. etc

2. I have avoided adding specific images to stuff lots of stuff. Though may add a forum pic. have you an example?

3. You should be able to insert images etc through TinyMCE, thouhg I have found a bug through the ui which I need to fix and should be in the next release so you can attach images :) (it will be in the next release I promise)

4. I have removed the 'Number Of Views' column on the ThreadPart in favour of the voting module. This means you can use additional modules I have written to accommodate this.

In the current next release you will see

1. Popularity algoritum implemented
   - Have a look at these module to correctly implement this feature.
         1. Content View Count (this is the replacement to the ThreadPart No of Views) - http://www.orchardproject.net/gallery/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.NGM.ContentViewCounter
         2. Favorite (think stackoverflow) - http://www.orchardproject.net/gallery/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.NGM.Favorite
         3. Vote Up/Down (think stackoverflow) - http://www.orchardproject.net/gallery/List/Modules/Orchard.Module.NGM.VoteUpDown

2. Ability to Move thread from forum to forum.

3. Bug fixes.

I am trying to not include functionality within this module if it can be broken out in to additional module. :)

Is there anything else you would like to see in the next release?

Nick

Sep 6, 2011 at 6:24 AM
Edited Sep 6, 2011 at 7:52 AM

Nick!!..Thats grt !.......:):)...." I have removed the 'Number Of Views' column on the ThreadPart in favour of the voting module. This means you can use additional modules I have written to accommodate this." So in this alpha version ,No of views and popularity algo Fields dont really mean anythg (just like dummy fields)?

Not ideas,do think abt this...

Creator or owner of the thread or forum can only edit  the forum ,(guess its not implemented in this) while others can just post or reply .While this owner can set permissions for the users of his forum!...ie(permissions specific to each forum)  guess am not complicating!

Hoping for ur next release ,,,:):)soon!Best wishes!!